Throughout history, women dominated the topics concerning beauty regimens. Even the Greek gods and goddesses behold such truth.
In 2017, things turn out to be different. Men seemed to esteem on their good looks more than ever. As the concept of beauty changed continuously over decades, the time has finally come when men also feel the need to go under the knife.
Why do men undergo plastic surgery?
Men opt to tweak their physical appearance for various reasons.
- Some men want improvements to help them put their best foot forward.
- Others need to correct flaws to achieve that fit and masculine physique.
Whatever reason you have in mind, it’s good to know that self-improvement may be just surgical procedures away.
If submitting under surgery is one of your options, don’t worry! You’re not alone. Statistics show that cosmetic plastic surgery for men has grown over the years.
Here are the top 5 cosmetic plastic surgery procedures:
1. Nose reshaping (Rhinoplasty)
Rhinoplasty is also known as ‘Nose Job’ or ‘Nose Reshaping’ by some patients since this surgical procedure involves the enhancement of your nose.
Some people undergo Rhinoplasty for two reasons.
- to merely improve facial harmony by enhancing the nose proportion
- to repair structural defects of the nose caused by various natural or accidental reasons
Rhinoplasty is advisable if you’re physically healthy, you don’t smoke, and you have realistic goals for the enhancement of your appearance.
If you want to undergo Rhinoplasty sooner, you need to avoid taking aspirin, herbal supplements, and anti-inflammatory drugs. These medications may cause increased bleeding.
2. Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty)
This type of cosmetic surgery is advisable for people who have puffy eye bags or extra skin below the eyes. This procedure can also apply to those with droopy and hooded upper lids.
By: Jason Emer, MD
Eyelid Surgery helps remove excess fat, skin, and muscle from above or below the eyes. It takes about one to three hours.
Some Asian patients request additions to the upper-eyelid crease. But it’s precise that surgeons don’t have the power to eliminate evidence of ethnic or racial evidence through Eyelid Surgery.
You can undergo this type of cosmetic plastic surgery in an outpatient setting or under local anesthesia with sedation or local anesthetic. Occasionally, some patients require brief hospitalization.
The patients with visual problems like Glaucoma or detached retina needs an ophthalmologist’s assessment before going through Eyelid surgery.
3. Breast reduction in men (Gynecomastia Surgery)
Gynecomastia is a condition where men have over-enlarged or over-developed breasts. It may occur at any age. This situation may occur because of hormonal changes, obesity, use of certain drugs, or by heredity.
This condition may affect self-confidence. Good thing Gynecomastia surgery is possible.
What is Gynecomastia Surgery?
Technically called Reduction Mammaplasty, this type of cosmetic plastic surgery helps reduce excess breast fats in men’s breast. It may also help flatten and enhance men’s breast contour.
The Gynecomastia procedure may include the following:
- Anesthesia – Your doctor will recommend whether you need intravenous sedation or general anesthesia.
- Liposuction technique – In some cases, excess fatty tissue causes Gynecomastia. Liposuction technique may be enough to get the job done.
- Excision technique – Excision may be applied if there’s a need to remove the glandular breast tissue or excess skin. It may also help in reducing the areola or repositioning it to a more natural male contour.
In some cases, the combination of Liposuction and Excision techniques may be combined to achieve desired results.
Often referred as ‘Lipo’ by some patients, this cosmetic surgical procedure may slim you down and reshape specific areas of your body. It helps remove excess fat deposits.
Liposuction may treat:
- Hips and Buttocks
- Abdomen and Waists
- Upper Arms
- Inner knee
- Chest Area
- Cheeks, Chin, and Neck
- Calves and Ankles
In some cases, one treatment may be all that’s needed to reshape specific areas. It may be done with either local or general anesthesia.
Liposuction may be influential in reducing excess fats, but it CAN’T:
- be a substitute proper diet and exercise.
- be a treatment for obesity
- be a treatment for loose saggy skin and cellulite
Liposuction may be performed alone or along with other plastic surgery procedures.
5. Facelift (Rhytidectomy)
This cosmetic surgical procedure aims to improve visible signs of aging.
- Fats that has fallen or has disappeared
- Deepened fold lines between the corner of the mouth and nose
- Loose skin and excess fat of the neck that appears as a double chin or “turkey neck.”
Facelift have limitations like:
- Stopping aging process
- It can be only done surgically
Patients may undergo Facelift under general or local anesthesia with intravenous sedation. Also, this may be done to outpatients. In some cases when patients experience combined procedures, brief hospitalization is required.
Self-care as a universal need
Self-care comes in many forms. For men who consider plastic surgery procedures as a way of enhancing their self-esteem, various methods fit your need.
You can check out other procedures and choose which one suits you best.